Is All Ivy Poisonous To Dogs

Household plants may undoubtedly add life to a space, but some of them are actually harmful to your dogs and even deadly if they consume them. The plants on the list below are dangerous to pets because of the toxic compounds they contain. All pet owners are advised to become familiar with these plants because they go by many different names. Additionally, it’s a smart idea to keep a first-aid kit on hand for your pet in case of any accidents.


Although the Lily family of plants is highly diverse, some of its species are poisonous to dogs and cats. While the Stargazer and Easter Lilies are poisonous to both cats and dogs, the Mauna Loa, also known as the Peace Lily, is poisonous to both. In fact, cats may not survive if the Stargazer and Easter Lily are left untreated since it affects the cat’s kidneys and appetite. As for the Peace Lily, if it’s consumed, your dog or cat can start vomiting and struggle to swallow because of irritated lips and tongue.

Aloe Vera

Aloe Vera is a beautiful plant for people because of its ability to smooth skin, but it has the opposite effect on dogs who are kept as pets. The plant’s other parts can impair a dog’s digestive tract, but the leaves contain a form of gel substance that won’t hurt your pet if it is consumed.

Ivy (Hedera Helix)

We’ve all heard of poison ivy, but even common ivy, which is rather attractive, can be hazardous to dogs. If the plant is consumed, a dog might get a rash and/or have respiratory issues, but things might become lot worse because poison ivy can also cause paralysis or a coma.

Jade (Crassula Ovata)

The Jade plant is also known as Baby Jade, the Friendship Tree, the Dwarf Rubber Plant, the Chinese or Japanese Rubber Plant, and the Jade Tree. Whatever you choose to call it, make sure to keep your pet cat or dog away from it. Although the precise poisons in this plant are unknown, eating it can cause vomiting, ataxia (loss of coordination), bradycardia (slow heartbeat), and/or sadness.

Dumb Cane (Dieffenbachia)

The poisonous plant Dieffenbachia is also known as Dumb Cane, Exotica, or Tropic Snow, and it is toxic to both dogs and cats. The poisonous chemicals in this plant can cause vomiting, trouble swallowing, burning/swelling of the mouth and tongue, as well as excessive salivation. It may occasionally result in respiratory problems or even death.

Elephant Ear (Caladium)

Other popular names for this vibrant plant species include Malanga, Via Sori, Pai, Taro, Cape, or Ape. Because the compounds in it are comparable to those in Dieffenbachia, the reactions are practically identical. As a result, your pet may experience oral issues, increased salivation or drooling, vomiting, and swallowing issues.

Pothos/Devil’s Ivy (Epipremnum Aureum)

The plant, also known as Satin or Silk Pothos, can irritate the mouth and tongue and is poisonous to both dogs and cats. Your pet may also experience nausea, increased salivation, and trouble swallowing. The plant can produce symptoms that are similar to those of Philodendron.

This strange-looking shrub can harm your dog in all of its parts. This applies to everything—leaves, roots, and even seeds. Every portion of the plant is deadly, and eating any of it can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and even liver failure.

ZZ Plant (Zamioculcas)

Your pet shouldn’t consume this plant because it may cause irritated reactions like diarrhea and vomiting.

This plant, also known as Emerald Fern, Emerald Feather, Sprengeri Fern, Lace Fern, and Plumosa Fern, is harmful to both dogs and cats. If the berries are consumed, the plant’s sapogenin toxin, which is present in the berries, can cause diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain, and skin inflammation.

Sowbread (Cyclamen)

This flowering plant will add color to any space, but dogs and cats should avoid it. When ingested, it may cause excessive salivation and drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, an irregular heartbeat, and/or seizures. In extreme situations, it may even be fatal.

There are a number of plant varieties that are suitable for your pet dog to use as decorations in your home because they don’t contain any toxic chemicals or toxins. Hens and Chicks, Burro’s Tail, Blue Echeveria, Ponytail Palm, and Bamboo are the most prevalent and well-liked of these.

Is dog deadly common ivy?

Azalea and Rhododendron: The entire genus is exceedingly hazardous for dogs and is used in landscaping and found in the wild. Even a small amount of the leaves can result in major problems, such as death, paralysis, vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, shock, and coma.

Holly: Types include Christmas holly, American holly, English holly, and Japanese holly. It is essential to keep your dog away from all varieties, even though some are less dangerous than others. Due to the plant’s spiky leaves, eating the leaves can cause nausea, diarrhoea, and gastrointestinal harm. Lip-smacking, drooling, and head shaking are symptoms.

Hydrangea: Because the flowers and leaves of this plant contain significant amounts of poisonous chemicals, eating them, particularly the flowers and leaves, can result in lethargy, diarrhea, vomiting, and other gastrointestinal disturbances.

Ivy: Ivy is a common component of many landscapes despite being a vine rather than a shrub. The leaf of some ivy plants can be harmful to dogs, however it is typically not fatal. Ingestion may cause breathing difficulties, excessive salivation and drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, a bloated mouth, and a tongue.

Oleander: This common ornamental plant is hazardous to both people and canines in all sections. Your dog may have acute vomiting, an irregular heartbeat, and possibly death if he consumes the blooms or leaves. You should also watch out for tremors, drooling, seizures, and weakness.

Peony: These lovely floral plants have a poison called paeonol in their bark, which when consumed in excessive quantities can result in vomiting and diarrhea.

Sago Palm: One of the most dangerous plants for dogs, it is frequently grown as an attractive shrub in temperate regions. The seeds in particular are poisonous, but the entire plant is poisonous. Even a small amount of seedpod consumption can cause severe liver failure. The signs include nosebleeds, decreased appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, and bloody feces.

What occurs if my dog consumes ivy?

The majority of climbing ivy varieties, including English, California, devil’s, American, needlepoint, and five-leaved, among others, are thought to be somewhat harmful to dogs. Though it is unlikely that your dog will pass away from eating ivy, it could get very sick. Ivy’s toxic compounds disturb the digestive system, resulting in nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and cramps. Ivy poisoning is characterized by excessive drooling. These symptoms are brought on by polyacetylene chemicals and triterpenoid saponins, which are found in ivy. Ivy berries are less toxic than the leaves. Contact your veterinarian or a pet poison hotline right away if you discover your dog chewing on ivy or believe he may have consumed some of the plant.

Swedish Ivy: This is a magnificent green cascading shrub with exquisite circular softly serrated leaves and little bluish-purple blooms. Non-toxic to pets and easy to care for, it is a great house plant. It enjoys strong indirect sun and loamy soil. Make sure you are getting a Swedish Ivy, not another type of Ivy such as Devil’s Ivy (Pothos) which is harmful to pets.

Lipstick Plant: This bright flowering plant is attractive and easy to care for. Bright red flowers that blossom in winter cheer up dreary dismal days. It prefers short periods of bright light, highly aerated soil, and a small rise in in humidity to respect its tropical heritage.

So, have your fauna and your flora too! A home with pets and plants is a pleasure for many people. There are numerous non-toxic plant kinds beyond this basic list. Do your study on harmful potential for pets before bringing any new plant into your home. If you have existing plants that your pets have never disturbed it is a good idea to go over them, see what you have and verify they are all non-toxic even if your pets have never touched them. It only takes one harmful exposure to have sick pet. Also take a little time to research the plants care requirements to guarantee you can keep your new plant companion happy and healthy too. Most of all enjoy all the beautiful moments that both your pets and your plants bring you.

Can dogs become ill from English ivy?

English ivy and Devil’s ivy/Golden Pothos are two common ivy plants that are somewhat harmful to animals.

Inflammation of the mouth and stomach, excessive drooling, mouth foaming, swelling of the lips, tongue, and mouth, vomiting, and diarrhea.

For cats and dogs, the philodendron family, which includes the Swiss cheese plant, heartleaf, and fiddle-leaf philodendron, has a low to moderate toxicity level.

Oral irritation, mouth, tongue, and lip pain and swelling, excessive drooling, vomiting, and swallowing problems.

Some rubber tree species, including the Japanese, Chinese, Jade, and Indian varieties, are poisonous to both cats and dogs.