Will Raisins Hurt Dogs

Can dogs consume grapes? No, dogs should never eat grapes. This also applies to raisins, which are simply dried grapes. Although study has not yet been able to identify the specific component of the fruit that causes this reaction, it is known that grapes and raisins are extremely hazardous to dogs.

There is no known safe dose of grapes or raisins for dogs, therefore you shouldn’t give them to them at all. A dog’s breed, sex, or age have no bearing on the chance of being impacted.

What dosage of raisins is harmful to dogs?

The majority of people spend a lot of time in the kitchen because it’s where they cook their meals, eat, and, for some, spend a lot of time interacting with family and friends. Since their owners are in the kitchen, pets frequently spend a lot of time there as well. Many people are unaware that a variety of things found in kitchens can be hazardous to pets, even in small concentrations.


What it does: When given in sufficient amounts, it frequently results in spontaneous vomiting. It slowly dissolves in the stomach for up to 12 hours.

Dose of toxicity: The toxicity is affected by the animal’s weight and the type of chocolate it eats. The hazard of chocolate increases with its color. Let’s compare quickly: Three ounces of hot cocoa, two milk chocolate candy bars, one dark chocolate candy bar, or one ounce of dark baking chocolate can all cause major issues for a ten-pound animal.

Treatment for chocolate toxicity usually involves making someone vomit. Activated charcoal may also be administered to help the stomach absorb any remaining poisons. Extreme situations can necessitate prolonged hospital stays.

Grapes and Raisins

What they do: Within one to three hours of intake, grapes and raisins can produce vomiting, diarrhea, central nervous system depression, and ultimately acute renal failure.

0.7 ounces of grapes and 0.1 ounce of raisins per kilogram are the toxic doses that can result in major issues. So, a 2.5-pound dog could die from eating 3 grapes (or 3 raisins), and a 10-pound animal could die from eating 12 grapes (or 12 to 15 raisins). Grape stems contain the poisonous substance as well.

Treatment: Consuming grapes or foods related to grapes usually necessitates administering activated charcoal and inducing vomiting, and this toxicity can call for hospitalization and hydration therapy for 24 to 48 hours.


Alcohol can result in convulsions, hypoglycemia, respiratory failure, and gastrointestinal blockage. Lethargy, ataxia (jerky, uncoordinated movement), and generalized muscle weakness are early signs of consumption.

Sources: People frequently overlook hand sanitizers, unbaked bread dough with yeast, and rum raisin bread as potential alcohol sources.

Can a dog eat a raisin and live?

Sadly, the response is a resounding “no.” Both raisins and the grapes that raisins are made of are extremely harmful to dogs. In dogs, grapes and raisins can result in severe acute renal failure.

Can a single raisin harm my dog?

A dog could die from eating just one grape or one raisin. A dog’s kidneys may fail acutely (quickly or suddenly) after eating a grape or raisin. They are extremely quickly contagious!

However, each dog is unique.

When it comes to raisins, some dogs will be far more sensitive than others. The research has not yet established the reason behind this.

Dehydration and electrolyte imbalances are just a couple of the issues that might arise from this and necessitate a trip to the vet’s office.

Raisins’ higher sugar content can potentially have some serious negative health effects.

Your dog is more vulnerable to weight gain, obesity, diabetes, and digestive problems as a result of having an excessive amount of sugar in their bodies.

Just a few of the reasons why you should never give your dog even one grape or raisin.

What occurs if my dog unintentionally consumes raisins?

What Takes Place When Dogs Consume Raisins? In dogs with raisin toxicity, vomiting, diarrhea, and loss of appetite are frequently the initial symptoms. The first typical symptom in the first 24 hours after raisin intake is vomiting. There may also be other gastrointestinal symptoms including diarrhea and an appetite loss.

How soon will a dog become unwell after eating raisins?

canine grape poisoning symptoms Typically, symptoms appear six to twelve hours after your dog consumes grapes or raisins, and renal failure sets in 24 to 72 hours later. But it can take a few days for things to start working.

How should I react if my dog ate some raisins on bread?

This also means that a toxic dose and related risk factors cannot be established because it is uncertain what the poisonous component in grapes and raisins is. Therefore, it is best for dogs to completely avoid them. Sadly, even in large breed dogs, doses as little as a few raisins or grapes have been observed to result in catastrophic kidney failure.

On the other hand, little dogs have been known to consume a lot of Christmas cake and survive. Sadly, there is just no way to determine if a dose of raisins or grapes is “safe.” If your dog has consumed even a small piece of raisin bread, it is important to contact your emergency veterinarian.

How long does dog toxicity to raisins last?

When dogs eat raisins, grapes, or Zante currants, toxicosis has infrequently been recorded. Clinical symptoms include lethargy, anorexia, polydipsia, dehydration, an increase in blood creatinine and BUN values, and the onset of vomiting and/or diarrhea within 612 hours of consumption. Oliguric or anuric renal failure may advance within 24–48 hours. Early cleanup of ingested materials and intravenous fluid therapy administration are part of the treatment.

Some dogs have been known to develop anuric renal failure after eating grapes or raisins. Anecdotal reports of renal failure in cats and ferrets following consumption of grapes or raisins exist, but cases have only been documented in dogs thus far. Why some dogs may eat grapes or raisins without any ill effects while others suffer from renal disease is unknown. Although damage to canine kidney cells caused by raisin extracts has been demonstrated in vitro, the condition has not been replicated experimentally.

A 50-pound dog can only consume so many raisins.

As few as 0.3 ounces of grapes per pound of body weight have been found to be the minimum amount of grapes needed to elicit toxic symptoms in dogs. The lethal dose of raisins can be as little as 0.05 ounces per pound of body weight.

How do I get my dog to vomit after he eats raisins?

Take your dog to the vet or an animal hospital right away if he consumes any grapes or raisins. If you can’t get to a hospital quickly away and it has only been a short while after your dog ate the raisins, you should induce vomiting. Within 10 to 15 minutes, vomiting should occur when using a solution of one teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide per five pounds of your dog’s weight. You can try it again with the same amount of peroxide if that doesn’t work. Only perform this step three times in a 30-minute period. You need to take your dog to a doctor immediately soon if he hasn’t yet vomited. It is a serious emergency that requires rapid attention.

If enough of the toxin has ingested, your dog may have nausea and vomiting within a few hours of intake. If no treatment is given, your dog may show signs of kidney failure within one to three days. These symptoms include an acute lack of energy, loss of appetite, stomach discomfort, fluid retention, tremors, and extreme weakness. Dogs of any breed, gender, age, or size may be impacted by this.

Even if your dog shows no symptoms after eating any number of raisins or grapes, you should still take them to the vet or an animal hospital right away. Failure to do so may result in catastrophic renal failure very fast.

Raisin poisoning is a dangerous condition that can cause acute renal (kidney) failure and even death in dogs. There are a number of hypotheses regarding why raisins are hazardous to dogs, including mycotoxin (a toxic mold or fungus), metabolic imbalance, and an idiopathic reaction.

Will it be alright if my dog eats one grape?

Dogs can get sick from raisins. They are simply dried grapes, which canine toxicity.

Give your dog no raisins or raisin-based items, and make sure they are never within reach of your dog. Ensure that everyone in the family and any guests understand that raisins are harmful to dogs and should never be given to a dog.

Dogs who consume grape and raisin poisoning may experience severe renal damage, acute (sudden) kidney failure, and even death. Although the precise toxin in grapes and raisins is unknown, it’s thought that it may be caused by dogs’ inability to process the flavonoids, tannins, and monosaccharides in grapes.

Dogs should not be given anything, not even bagels with raisins. Raisins and items containing raisins don’t offer any nutritional benefit that can’t be replaced by fruits that are safe for dogs, like apple slices.

Are dogs allergic to raisins in general?

Dogs and cats may be harmed by eating any grapes, raisins, currants, or sultanas, as well as any dishes containing these fruits. The dried varieties of these fruits are more frequently linked to severe symptoms.

What fruits are off-limits to dogs?

Certain fruits are poisonous to dogs. Don’t give these to your dog:

  • Avocado. This fruit contains persin, a poison that causes dogs to suffer diarrhea and vomiting.
  • Cherries. Cyanide is present in cherry pits. If a person accidentally swallows one whole, it normally won’t be hazardous, but eating the seed releases cyanide, which could be harmful to your dog.
  • Grapes. Dogs who consume grapes suddenly get renal failure. Recall that raisins are simply dried grapes and should be avoided as well.
  • Tomatoes. Solanine, a substance found in the green sections of the tomato plant, is poisonous to dogs.